Microdermabrasion may be one of the greatest things that I have ever discovered. It is a lot more thorough than regular exfoliation and aids in giving you your smoothest skin yet. Basically it erases the very top layer of skin on your face. There are two types of microdermabrasion: crystal vs. diamond.
With the crystal technique, one uses a handheld device that shoots a high-speed stream of the smallest aluminum oxide crystals onto the skin to remove grime and dead/dry skin cells. This system also includes a tiny vacuum that sucks up unwanted materials.
However during the diamond technique, a dermatologist will use a wand tipped with a laser-cut diamond. Due to its strength and durability, the diamond was chosen over other gems. And, unlike the others, they do not leave powder or dust after use.
At a professionals office, the cost is typically between $75-$200 per treatment and the duration is about 30 minutes but the overall appointment is an hour.
Benefits of Microdermabrasion:
The procedure is pretty painless compared to other treatments like microneedling.
• Improves absorption of skincare products.
• Microdermabrasion is suitable for all skin types.
• Clean pores, continuous treatment cleans out pores leaving a smoother skin.
• Sticking with it can also reduce the appearance of acne scarring and such.
Risks of Microdermabrasion:
• Skin is temporarily pink but recovers within 24 hours.
• As always consult a doctor before using, especially if you use Accutane.
• Don’t use extreme products such as alpha & beta hydroxy acid, retin A, or retinol prior to and after 48 hours of treatment.
• Skin will feel dry and tight (almost like a sunburn) for about 24 hours. Use a moisturizer.
• Some types of makeup are not suitable until 24 hour after the procedure.
A great device I have found for microdermabrasion is the PMD system. It is a 3-minute treatment that uses calibrated vacuum suction, which is the power behind its effective microdermabrasion. This triggers natural collagen and elastin production to heal the skin again. There are several attachable discs ranging in color from white (sensitive) to yellow (intense), the smaller discs are for the face and the larger ones can be used for microdermabrasion on the body.
How do you use the PMD?
1. Clean skin thoroughly
2. Using the white disc, practice on arm/leg before using on face.
3. Pull skin tight to help the device glide over skin.
4. Move quickly in upwards motion, each section of skin should only be crossed over once.
5. Follow up by applying toner and moisturizer.
6. Wash the cap and filter after each use.
It is so easy to include in your Sunday night skincare routine since you only need to use dermabrasion every 4-6 weeks. I hope you will find your best skin yet with microdermabrasion.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Vanessa Bywater is a lifestyle blogger at Mommy Needs Lattes. Where you will find posts about lifestyle, travel, recipes, parenting, beauty and so much more.
Have you tried microdermabrasion? Let us know in the comments section below!